Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Video killed the Radio Star

A giant light bulb went on over every media mongrel a few years back. High School Musical was a long shot at a sell, but it was a little movie of the month for the disney channel not much to lose right? I mean how many people aside from the 6-12 year olds of the world watched Jumping Ship or Halloween Town? But the sudden success of the little movie that could was incredible, and the spark of that light bulb. Its an old concept see Singing in the Rain or Jazz Singer. But what changed? Musical Movies weren't the only thing that could sell, musical shows are just as easy. Not only are they selling points, but shows can create new multi-talented stars, not only posters and signings but CDs and concerts. No surprise that Disney moved into the market they were already well versed in, anyone remember Mickey Mouse Club? With the sensation of Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers there was a paving of the wave for the older crowd's singing show, Glee.

I started watching Glee back in May when it premiered, though not completely willing. Truthfully the show didn't truly seem like it was going to appeal to me, it seemed a staple of the Fox network with corky outrageous characters that weren't only surface. I wasn't overly impressed or pleased with that first episode and didn't really think twice about watching the show or not when it returned in the fall.  But then the Hulu Gods decided to release the director's cut of that first episode and one late night I gave it a second chance. The director's cut was definitely more of a golden apple, so I kept watching on. By episode three, I was disappointed again thinking that the show had lost it's voice a tad bit too early.

Because by episode three, or well-intentioned overly passionate Glee Club director already had abandoned his club to follow his own ambitions. There were two episodes, I believe 3 and 4 that were suddenly not about the glee club almost at all anymore and that's the name of the show. But last week, the magic came back and the focus was truly about the club itself again. The match up of the boys and girls was truly a treat to watch. Though really, everything just seems to move along too fast. Take for example Rachel leaving the Glee club because she doesn't get the lead. The lesson that she can't always be the center of attention, yet by the time she comes back (end of that episode) she is still given every lead? Lesson obviously not meant, or not learned?

The show itself is not on top of any of my lists, but I love watching singing. I keep tuning in because I love the combination, the true art of musical performance to tell the story. I can't wait to see what songs are going to be switched up, what costumes and etc. I'm not really that emotionally involved with any of the characters themselves, all of them being slightly too outlandish for me.

I did connect to Kirk's trial in Preggers, and I got a real kick out of April's guest star appearance. Sue and Terri are enough to make me want to stop watching the show. I hate pretty much everything Sue says (though at the end of tonight's episode I might concede a little bit). And the fake preggers wife sort of drives me crazy! Quinn feels like the show's token preggers teen. Does anyone else notice that suddenly teen pregnancy is the new show staple for drama. Its no longer a one episode warning to the population but an actual character type. Not that I find it problematic but slightly over done at this particular point. Maybe if it had been presented in season 2, I wouldn't be so over the idea already. I enjoy awkward popular A-lister lead though overbearing Rachel could tone it down a notch (I think she's starting too). But maybe I will grow into each character?

As long as the songs keep coming and the performances are up to par, I will keep watching! Also as long as iTunes keeps putting up the weekly songs, I will keep buying them (though an album should be made, soon... cause 1.99 for each song? maybe a pick and choose 7 song album price??)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! And Don't forget become a follower!