Wednesday, August 5, 2009

You were warned!

Both trailers, all the summaries, and the first five minutes of the movie warned me. This is not a love story, this is a story about boy meets girl. Is it human nature not to heed warnings? Do we somehow think we are going to will a different ending because we wish it so?

Over the weekend I saw 500 days of summer and though I was enchanted it was drenched in a teeny bit of disappointment that it really was not a love story. Well that's a bit of an overstatement, because it was a story about love just not a love story. I loved several things about the movie, first off if you get a chance to check out the soundtrack it really is a great collection of music. The songs set to action were even better and all truly fitting to not only the plot, but the characters and the setting. Next would be the setting and how it played into the movie, being an LA girl might make me bias but I truly liked how Los Angeles became a character. It was very neat the way the city was partially sketched for parts of the movie and is on most of the promotional material. Then there was the honest introduction, the preface, the warning that this was not a love story but yet in the middle of the movie I found myself hoping. I thought maybe they were just kidding? Maybe they wanted it to be more of a surprise? They couldn't really mean to not let it be a love story? But they did. And it wasn't. And when it ended I wasn't really surprised or disappointed, I was amused that I had tried to make it different.

The way the story was presented was truly refreshing and new. It was not linear storytelling. It was not traditional boy meets girl. It was different from the coloring, to the transitions, to the music. It was nice to see something not so mainstream, not so mass produced. Though I must admit the costumes were distracting, well to me. The main female character played by Zooey Deschanel was just dressed poorly, more than half her outfits did not suit her. I did think it might have been on purpose, someway to make the audience disconnect from her and not wish for romance but still. It was distracting and just seemed out of place for this character to not be better dressed.

But if you are looking for something new and a great summer flick, check out 500 days of summer but know you were warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! And Don't forget become a follower!